I've seen The Godfather, Part II more times than I could say, but there are still some questions I've never been able to figure out.
I made this list of questions back in the summer of 2010, when the Godfather movies were running on a loop on Bravo. (I posted it on my Myspace page!) Now it's three and a half years later, I've seen the movie an additional five times on AMC, and I still don't know these answers. So help me out, all you Godfather junkies.
- Exactly what did Fredo do to make the attempted hit on Michael possible?
- We learn that the two would-be assassins are found dead on the compound. Who killed them?
- Did Hyman Roth have anything to do with the hit, or did only become a threat to Michael later, in Cuba?
- Why would Hyman Roth conspire to kill Michael in Cuba when he was still waiting for him to deliver the two million dollar investment?
- Was the bungled attempted whacking of Frank Pentangeli orchestrated by Hyman Roth? If so, why? And how?
- Who is the boy in the boat with Fredo at the end? Didn’t Michael’s young son Anthony just leave with Kay?
- During the 1917 flashback, don’t you find it suspicious that Vito was able to kill Fanucci of The Black Hand with no apparent retaliation by Fanucci’s men? Was he the least-supported Don in Mafioso history?